WE ARE ALL MEMBERS OF TWO HOURS BEFORE

Monday, August 24, 2009

WITH THE CURRENT WORLD ECONOMY RECESSION IT IS A COMMON TREND TO ENTER AN OFFICE TO THE OTHER LOOKING FOR JOB. WE HAVE TO SOILDER ON ANYWAY.




RECEPTION

My ears shot awake
As the sharp shrill
Forced it way through
“Wait on the bench”
She repeated

Stalted, I recoiled
Shamefully as I looked for
Some space
The benches having been full
I stood next to the door.

Everybody expect her, stared at me
Then I realized I
Was in a top fashion blazer
Only that it’s green colour didn’t
Match well with my yellow shirt
In the mirrors of their eyes
I saw my worn out collar.

Shying from their stare
My eyes landed on my
Feet
Atleast I had something to be proud of
The Addidas label
Suddenly I realized my blue
Trousers hanging a few inches from
My ankles.

Chameleonly, my pupil
Revolved and met theirs
Many were no better
Only a few were

The room was grave silent
I could ‘hear’ all the heart beats
Some were slow others moderate
But many were fast.

Suddenly!
The door flung open
Atleast I was happy
It saved me further scrutiny.
The lips were red as blood
Coal laced the eye blows
The generous bust half open
This made me a man!

Skirt wide up the knees
Showing more of Eve
Then, behind followed him- Adam?
Flashing bow and tie
Tire and exhaust written all over his face
He was after all ‘busy’ half a day,

He gave the wall clock a quick glance
Then his wrists watch,
Then whispered something to the secretary
They stepped out majestically
He nodded to us, and gave a
Quick smile, as he walked out

Then it dawned on me
She got the job-
And I recalled the advert
‘Women are encouraged to apply’
As we walked out
I no longer wore primary colours
Everyone was in their own world.
Unaware of us,
The cars hooted and horned.


ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS IS AN ORIGINAL WORK BY SIMON MWANGI MUTHIORA.
(I wrote this poem one evenning after i had visited over five publishers and non of them could show an interest with my Short stories.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fafdays will have to confirm and edit your comment before Publication.